Homeowners know that tile comes in lots of sizes, colors, and textures. This means limitless options when it comes to creating great designs and custom patterns for floors, walls, backsplashes, accents, and more. But tile—ceramic or porcelain—is not just another pretty face. It’s also durable and easy to care for, with a number of unexpected benefits. The professionals at Malkin’s Flooring share their list of reasons for including tile in your new home or remodeling project:
- The ultra-hard surface stands up to water, spills, pet accidents, scratches, and stains. Even most grouts are now 100 percent stain-resistant.
- Cleaning tile floors requires little more than a damp mop—and surface treatments or polishes are not necessary to maintain a beautiful appearance.
Improves Indoor Air Quality
- Tiles are made from natural materials and fired in high-temperature kilns, meaning they are free of volatile organic compounds (VOCs), formaldehyde, PVC, and other toxins.
- The smooth, solid surface discourages the growth of bacteria, fungi, dust mites, and mold.
- Dust and pet hair are easily removed to minimize allergic or asthmatic reactions.
Better for Your Kitchen
- The same qualities that minimize bad things in your air also help keep them out of your kitchen. Bacteria like e-coli and salmonella can simply be wiped away to eliminate risk and odors.
- Glazed tile won’t scorch or melt, even under the hottest pans and skillets.
Safer Under Fire
- Tile doesn’t burn, so it can provide a clear path to safety or prevent flames from spreading in the event of a fire. This also means it won’t produce smoke or give off toxic fumes, which are just as dangerous as the fire itself.
- A variety of slip-resistant finishes and textures make tile a great choice for the kitchen, bathroom, entry way, or pool deck—anywhere extra precaution is warranted.
- Most tiles are produced with natural materials, with a zero-waste manufacturing process, so it’s an eco-friendly option.
- The composition and thermal mass of tile allows it to adapt to air temperature, which moderates temperature swings in your home. This means less work for your heating and cooling system, and more energy savings for you.
Choosing the Best
Tile dates back thousands of years, and for good reason. With today’s manufacturing and installation technologies, the list of reasons to choose tile continues to grow.
Now that you know what tile can do for your home, visit an expert like Malkin’s for ideas on how it will look. Our design professionals can help you choose colors, textures, and finishes that will make you a raving fan!