There are many times when natural is better—like organic versus processed foods, or cotton and wool versus synthetic fibers—but when it comes to flooring, combining science and nature usually yields a better product. This is especially true of wood floors, or in this case, wood-look flooring that is engineered to be both stylish and durable. For the look of wood without the high cost and special care, consider these five alternatives that offer a number of additional benefits:
- Tile—For great style in wet areas—like bathrooms, kitchens, or entryways—wood-look ceramic or porcelain tiles are a great alternative. They come in a variety of colors, textures, and sizes that mimic boards but are far more durable.
- Bamboo—This natural, sustainable product wears better and longer than a traditional hardwood, like oak. It’s extremely strong and attractive, with the added benefit of being eco-friendly.
- Engineered hardwood—There’s no visual difference between solid wood and engineered wood floors, but the latter is up to five times more durable. The surface veneer of real wood can be refinished if you want to follow future color trends, while layered backer boards provide dimensional stability for years of quiet comfort.
- Laminate—Laminate floors are a combination of special resins, paper layers, a fiber core, and a high resolution film printed with realistic wood colors and grains. This faux-flooring option is water-resistant, and difficult to scratch or stain. What’s easy is installation, thanks to a tongue-in-groove design that can float over most standard subfloors.
- Vinyl—One of the best alternatives is also the easiest to install and maintain. Luxury vinyl planks (LVPs) are the most affordable wood-look option, yet they’re waterproof and wear incredibly well in even the busiest areas of your home or business. New LVPs offer realistic hardwood grain patterns and commercial-grade durability in long, wide planks that rival the real thing.
Wood-Like Options You’ll Love
If you want great-looking floors without a great deal of maintenance, you’re going to love new wood-look products. From affordability to easy care, wood-look flooring can be used in virtually any room and your guests will never know the difference.
To see and compare all your options, we invite you to visit the Idea Center at Malkin’s Flooring. Our home fashion experts are always happy to answer questions and show you samples.